June Catch Up

Oh man. I'm behind on my blog! Yikes.

Ok, so.. I think the last time I wrote I had just gotten back from a short trip to Belgium upon returning from my trip back to the States. After that, I spent three days in Hinckley, UK for a training. It was maybe a little over an hour train ride from London. We pretty much stayed in a hotel (Jurys Inn Hinckley Island) in the middle of nowhere with the training held at the hotel. While training is never the most thrilling experience, I can at least say it was nice in a sense that it allowed me to get to know my colleagues better. It was nice to see everyone outside of our normal work environment and fun to spend the evenings together socializing. We got back that Thursday (June 28, 2019).

Note that I had a dumb blonde moment trying to be extra social during dinner one evening. I was talking to one of the Directors in the group telling him that I had met a German Partner during my time in Belgium who had recently been to South Africa and went to the township where Nelson Mandela lived and also went to the Apartheid Museum. I then immediately turn to my partner that is from South Africa trying to welcome him to the conversation but instead of saying Nelson Mandela I say Liza Minelli. Not really sure how I got the two confused or where in the world Liza Minnelli came from, but he laughed as said "Oh, I didn't know Liza was from South Africa". 

Gosh, I can't make this stuff up. I am ridiculous sometimes. I immediately messaged our family group chat to confess my stupid moment and of course they response by saying "way to represent Americans, Amy". So, yeah... you're welcome?

My birthday was that following Sunday(June 30). I was definitely not looking forward to it as I hadn't had a chance to give it much thought or plan anything since I had been mostly traveling for the last month straight. I love birthdays (especially my own! :p ), but I honestly wish I could have skipped it this year. A couple of the girls from work agreed to hang out with me that Saturday to celebrate my birthday. We ended up deciding to go to a show at the King Head Theatre Pub . I had never been but heard it was a must while in London so was glad someone had thought of the idea. The show we saw was called Vulvarine. I was slightly nervous it was going to be a bit too vulgar or out of my comfort zone, but it actually wasn't too bad, and it ended up being a fun and good experience. Before the show, we ate at an Italian restaurant called Santore. This was my attempt to feel somewhat at home as I usually try to get my mom and dad to accompany me on my birthday to my favorite Italian restaurant in Kansas City called Bella Napoli. While it wasn't quite the same because Mom and Dad weren't with me, it was definitely a good substitute! I felt really thankful that my co-workers were willing to give up a Saturday night to hang out with me when they still didn't really know me too well. They also bought gifts and paid for everything. A day I had initially been dreading ended up being a fun evening in London with good company. I was very blessed and very humbled by their kindness. I also thought it was sweet how they picked up on things I said that week at training as I mentioned that I like being outside and like going to the parks here in London and both of the girls got me a London parks and gardens book - so cute. It made smile. I now have lots of parks to visit in London! We ended the night at a colleagues flat, and I think about that time my mom messaged me to wish me happy birthday as it was midnight my time and officially my birthday. We took a group selfie and sent it to her so she could see I was with good company.


Note that it was extremely hot that day in London and taking the tube in London when it's super hot is legit miserable. You pretty much shouldn't shower as you will be drenched by the time you get off the tube. I'm sure out of the 4 of us you can tell which smiley face didn't have to take the tube for our evening festivities (and it definitely wasn't me).

I've got to go to bed, but I'll try to play catch up this week on the blog. Excited to tell about my trip to South Africa as that was nothing short of an amazing trip! Stay tuned...


Comments

  1. I'm so glad I rattled the cage so we could hear of your adventures. I'm glad that you celebrated your birthday in a similar style with Italian food involved. I look forward to the next blog and will stay tuned, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts