Words of Wisdom
As many know, I was engaged for about 7 months, but ended up not going through with the wedding. Although a hard decision and a hard transition from "engaged" to "single", it was the right thing to do at the right time. If anything, I have and am learning to be patient, listen to God, and most importantly, obey Him. Sometimes desires, excitement, and impatience can lead to us walking out of God's calling for our lives. It's amazing how when you learn to listen and obey, you find that God really knows what He's doing and He really does have a plan -- one that is beyond your imagination! (I'm proof!)
During my time of being engaged, people wrote "words of advice" to us. I still have those notes, and they continue to bless me. Many of the people who gave advice are married and have been for many, many years. I believe that if we want advice over relationships & marriage, we should look to those who have learned through experience. Currently, many of my friends are getting married or are newly married, so I thought I'd share some of the words of wisdom given to me, in hopes that they may bless you...
Some of my favorites:
*May you be blessed with just enough struggles to make your love strong.
*Choose to love each other every day! On the easy days, choose to love. On the hard days, choose to love. Above all, choose love.
*After 27 years of marriage & 9 children later, he still makes my knees knock. Here's why: 1. We put Christ first 2. Each other second.
*Esteem the other greater than yourself; it will pay great dividends.
*Take Paul's advice not to go to bed angry & like Christ, lay down you life for one another.
*"There are 2 parts to a working relatioship" -Dr. Phil ...haha (-Jonathan Andrews)
*Always apologize. Better yet -- treat each other kindly and speak to each other in a loving voice. And remember, each time you tell each other goodbye, you can only pray you will have another time to hug each other. In other words, tell eachother you love them -- Say, "I love you" often and especially when you are parting, even briefly.
I was talking to a good friend this last week and she is experiencing heartache from a relationship she is in. She is upset because she knows she got into something she knew at the time (engagement/wedding) wasn't what she really wanted for herself. I told her something Steve often tells me when I can't decide if something I'm wearing is appropriate (ie. I borrowed my sister's shorts to go to the Royals game and couldn't decide if they were too short or not). My mom told me to ask Steve & when I did, he didn't even look at me. He said, "If you have to question, you shouldn't wear it". I think this advice applies to relationships as well... If you have to question the relationship, if there's any doubt, don't do it. Be patient, and trust that God has a plan. People who are married and have a healthy marriage often tell me, "when you know, you know". I think that's true - if you're not feeling the "know" part, don't do it. Love is patient, and love waits. Never feel rushed and never settle. Let God fill the desires of your heart. Seek him first & He will take care of the rest!
During my time of being engaged, people wrote "words of advice" to us. I still have those notes, and they continue to bless me. Many of the people who gave advice are married and have been for many, many years. I believe that if we want advice over relationships & marriage, we should look to those who have learned through experience. Currently, many of my friends are getting married or are newly married, so I thought I'd share some of the words of wisdom given to me, in hopes that they may bless you...
Some of my favorites:
*May you be blessed with just enough struggles to make your love strong.
*Choose to love each other every day! On the easy days, choose to love. On the hard days, choose to love. Above all, choose love.
*After 27 years of marriage & 9 children later, he still makes my knees knock. Here's why: 1. We put Christ first 2. Each other second.
*Esteem the other greater than yourself; it will pay great dividends.
*Take Paul's advice not to go to bed angry & like Christ, lay down you life for one another.
*"There are 2 parts to a working relatioship" -Dr. Phil ...haha (-Jonathan Andrews)
*Always apologize. Better yet -- treat each other kindly and speak to each other in a loving voice. And remember, each time you tell each other goodbye, you can only pray you will have another time to hug each other. In other words, tell eachother you love them -- Say, "I love you" often and especially when you are parting, even briefly.
I was talking to a good friend this last week and she is experiencing heartache from a relationship she is in. She is upset because she knows she got into something she knew at the time (engagement/wedding) wasn't what she really wanted for herself. I told her something Steve often tells me when I can't decide if something I'm wearing is appropriate (ie. I borrowed my sister's shorts to go to the Royals game and couldn't decide if they were too short or not). My mom told me to ask Steve & when I did, he didn't even look at me. He said, "If you have to question, you shouldn't wear it". I think this advice applies to relationships as well... If you have to question the relationship, if there's any doubt, don't do it. Be patient, and trust that God has a plan. People who are married and have a healthy marriage often tell me, "when you know, you know". I think that's true - if you're not feeling the "know" part, don't do it. Love is patient, and love waits. Never feel rushed and never settle. Let God fill the desires of your heart. Seek him first & He will take care of the rest!
Comments
Post a Comment